7. Reykjavik Fish Restaurant – This is my favorite restaurant in Iceland . It has the best Fish and Chips I have ever tasted. It was fresh and flavorful ! Highly recommend it . Our hotel included a good breakfast buffet, for lunch we mad sandwiches from groceries we picked up at the local supermarket and for dinner we tried different restaurants. Out of all the restaurants I tried in Iceland – the one I like the most is the Fish Restaurant .
Reykjavik – Iceland’s capital city has a population of about 120 thousand people and is the largest city in Iceland. It is a beautiful city to explore.
Here are my favorite places in Reykjavik:
1. The Hallgrímskirkja – is the largest church in Iceland and is stunning inside and outside. It is a young church- under 50 years old, construction completed in the 80s . It is a landmark structure of Iceland . You can go up to the top of the church for stunning views of Reykjavik . This church was a 10 minute drive from our hotel and we visited it multiple times during the day time and at night.
2. Harpa – is the concert hall building in Iceland. It’s a unique building right by the ocean . Inside the building there are 100s of small colorful windows . Good to spend 1 to 3 hours here.
3. Perlan – is a museum that is located on a hill about 20 minute from the city. The museum has different exhibits but my favorite part is the view . This is one of the Highest points in Reykjavik and provides a panaromic view of the city .
4. Tjornin – This is a lake located in the center of the city . In February when we were there, parts of it was frozen. Even in winter it was a peaceful place to walk around in and people watch .
5. The Sun Voyager- this is an interesting structure by the sea . From the center of town you can walk along the sea to reach this structure . We did this walk in winter, and it was a very scenic walk . Definitely recommend this walk – dress warm if you are doing this walk in the winter. We saw this structure at night time once and was even able to see the Northern Lights from here !
6. Grotta Lighthouse – This is about a 15 minute drive from the city. It is an interesting area with a lighthouse and multiple paths. People go here to see the Northern Lights close to the city . We went here on multiple nights and did see the Northern Lights . Even if you don’t get a chance to see the Northern Lights here – it is an interesting area to visit . Sort of reminded me of photos of Mars ( in winter time ) .
I found Reykjavik to be town filled with many things to do – highly recommend spending a few days here. My favorite part of Iceland was the drive to the south shore to see the Glacier Caves . I wrote a detailed posting about it filled with photos – you can read about it here. I have been to many places around the world and Iceland is in my top five . There is something very raw and refreshingly beautiful about Iceland !