My most favorite part of New Orleans is the food !
There are many classic and old places to eat in New Orleans . You get the sense it is a town that does not change easily.
We were in New Orleans for four days and tried to eat at many different restaurants as possible to get the full Nola food experience !
The Five Restaurants below has deep historic ties to New Orleans as well as amazing food !
- Central Grocery and Deli – This is an old fashioned grocery store founded in 1906 and their claim to fame is the invention of muffuletta – a sandwich ! ” Each sandwich is made on a 10″ round Sicilian sesame loaf that stays crusty despite all it’s messy fillings. It’s stuffed with ham, salami, Provolone and a signature briny marinated olive salad filled with Kalamata and green olives and other tasty pickled veggies.” – CG&D . This was my favorite meal in New Orleans ! My mouth waters thinking about it !!
2. Cafe Du Monde – Is a Cafe that opened in 1862 and they are known for their Beignets. Beignets are fried fritters covered in icing sugar. New Orleans is famous for its Beignets and Cafe Du Monde. The pastry is good and they have really good coffee. This place always has a line during the day time . The good thing is that it is open 24 hours / 7 days a week. If you are like me and don’t like lines – drop by here late night ! It is worth trying once .
3. Dooky Chase’s Restaurant – Dooky Chase ‘s Restaurant has been around since 1941. This restaurant has deep historic roots in New Orleans. It served as a meeting place for for discussing issues of civil and economic rights in the African-American community in New Orleans and throughout the country. Many famous people have passed through its doors over the years including Martin Luther King Jr, Both president Bushes, Obama, Beyonce and many more famous people ! The line for lunch without reservation was over an hour and forty five minutes ! Lunch is usually a buffet. I loved their fried chicken. I thought the other dishes could have been better. However – still worth a visit .
4. Parkway Bakery and Tavern – This restaurant has been around since 1911 serving poor boy sandwiches . Poor Boy ( Po’Boy ) Sandwiches are made with crisp french loaves filled with different ingredients – Anything from roast beef shrimp, oyster, catfish, soft-shell crabs, as well as french fries and ham and cheese . This place is a little out of the way – but you can Uber it. Our Uber passed through some questionable areas of New Orleans – so please don’t walk to this place, especially at night time ! The Po’Boy sandwiches are worth the trip !
5. Commander’s Palace – Commander’s Palace has been around since 1893. It is located in the Garden District. If you are interested in the Graden District, you should read the post here. The staff at Commander’s Palace work hard to ensure you are provided with a true Southern Dining Experience. You definitely need a reservation – for lunch or for dinner. The service is exceptional . It is white table cloth dining experience. We had a table right by the window. At lunch time when you order an entree you get 3 drinks for 25 cents per drink ! It is a cool perk ! The lunch was good . I really enjoyed the gumbo and the strawberry shortcake dessert !
New Orleans has an endless supply of amazing restaurants filled with rich history and incredibly flavorful food ! The five restaurants above will give you a well rounded experience of the different type of restaurants/food available in New Orleans ! I loved each of my experiences and can’t wait to go back and try more different places !