The last two days I attended a Manager’s offsite at my company and one of the things I learned on my offsite was that there is significant demand for employees in the cyber security space. I have a lot of young cousins who are graduating university , based on what I heard, I was recommending this field to them as possible career path.
If I was in their role — I would take some courses or a certification and than I would apply for entry level roles in this field.
University Of Toronto School Of Continuing Studies offers cyber security courses .
There is a formal certification called Certified Information Security Manager ( CISM) .
The requirements for CISM .
When you do a search for cyber security jobs, there are many postings available. It should be an interesting area for a career.
Sample Entry Level Job Posting for a Cyber Security Role:
Cyber Security Operation Centre Analyst I
TD Bank 4,476 reviews
– Scarborough, ON
|Mandate / Marketability
- The Information Security Analyst I is responsible for tier1/tier 2 incident response and incident handling for IT security incidents.
- Conduct Real-time analysis on identified cyber incidents currently impacting the bank’s operations.
- Analyze, triage and remediate security incidents internally and/or escalate to Cyber Security Incident Response team (CSIRT) for further investigation, treatment or support if needed.
- Manage intake of incidents and reports from internal customers through internal ticketing system in a timely accurate manner in order to resolve a multitude of information security related situations.
- The ability to identify and triage and remediate security incidents such as Malware, Phishing and Web Attacks is required.
- The CSOC Security Analyst is responsible for supporting the event log monitoring, analysis needs of customers.
- The personnel in this role will work as part of a cyber security operations team responsible for carrying out 24×7 on-site security monitoring operations.
Authorities Scope & Impact
- Accountable to respond to, investigate and remediate cyber threats to the bank. Escalate to internal and Cyber Security Incident Response team if required.
- This job contributes to Technology and Operations through first line management and identifications of electronic threats to TDBG’s infrastructure.
Cross Functional Relationships
- The Information Security Analyst I will be responsible for managing information between multiple technical teams, the CSOC, CSIRT and ITS, LOB TS when appropriate.
What can you bring to TD? Share your credentials, but your relevant experience and knowledge can be just as likely to get our attention. It helps if you have:
- Understanding of security controls/mechanisms and threat/risk assessment techniques pertaining to complex data, application and networking environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Organizational and self-directing skills – ability to initiate, coordinate and prioritize responsibilities and follow through on tasks to completion.
- An approach to work that includes initiative, sound judgment, diplomacy and Discretion.
- Ability to work independently on a variety of assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work without supervision with senior managers, supervisors, VIPs and Users.
- Knowledge of security incident and event management, log analysis, Network traffic analysis, understanding of the tools used for malware detection and investigation, understanding of SIEM correlation logic and alert generation.
- Ability to perform analysis and reporting on information from multiple data sources using data mining technique for the purpose of documenting analysis results, produce report and present to a technical and executive stakeholders.
- Understanding of Security principles, techniques and technologies such as SANS Top 20 Critical Security Controls and OWASP Top 10.
- Basic programming skills in various disciplines including scripting languages.
- Advanced knowledge of SIEM solution such as RSA Security Analytics, ArcSight, LogRhythm, QRadarr , Splunk or similar.
- Understanding of Enterprise IT operations, incident management, change management, Access/Identity Management, security operations, vulnerability and compliance management, ticketing system, incident ticket life cycle and SLA terms
- Min 1 years of Information Security Operations or similar working experience
Background and Education:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent program in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or similar field is required.
- Completion of a Masters degree or equivalent program in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or similar field is preferred.
- Working toward or already have one of industry certification: GIAC, CISSP, CCNA